Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Craft Book Blog Hop!


Hello! In case you haven't seen, September is Craft Book Month at Craft Buds, and lots of bloggers will be posting projects made from a book! (see the full roundup here). And, if you decide to make something too, you can post it on Instagram with the hashtag #craftbudmonth or a blog post with a link back to Craft Buds and you can win prizes! I know I am guilty of buying many craft books but then not using them as much as I probably should. This was a good time to look through what I had and finally make something!

I decided to use Elizabeth Hartman's book, "The Practical Guide to Patchwork," which is an older book of hers (she has a really cool new patchwork one as well, that comes out in November). I decided to use this one though, since I have had for years, and think the projects are really neat. 

"Birdbath" Quilt
I have always liked this quilt pattern which is toward the back of the book, which I think means it is in more of the "advanced" sewing section. I didnt have time to make the whole quilt but I did need a new pillow so I decided to make 4 squares instead, and since each square is 9" it would work perfectly for an 18" pillow form I already had!

Birdbath Pillow
I used a variety of blues and greys and aquas, and did 2 squares in 2 colorways. I have to admit, I ran into some problems sewing this, which were all my fault! One, I was using scraps instead of cutting the amounts the pattern says to cut, so I kept choosing fabric that I didnt actually have enough of. Then I didnt read the directions closely enough and cut out the wrong sizes. It was annoying! When I made the block it said trim to 9 1/2" which was not possible because my blocks varied in size and some were only 9"! I have no idea why these blocks were so off. Was it poor measuring? Poor cutting? Poor sewing? (even though I use a 1/4" foot?) Who knows, but I am glad I didnt try to make a whole quilt!




Pillow in its new habitiat
I connecting the blocks with 1" sashing in a light grey sketch fabric, and I like that it separates the blocks a bit. They were a bit fiddly and tedious to make, with some pieces only 1 1/2" square. Im learning from this and from some of my quilting bee blocks that I am just not good at sewing with pieces that small! Something to work on for the future. 

Cozy, rainy night and lovely view of construction site!
Once I had the pillow top made I quilted it with straight lines about 1/2" apart, which I really like, and made a simple envelope back out of grey fabric. I think it would have looked more balanced if I had made the outer rings of all the squares out of the darkest fabrics, because it seems like the dark turquoise rings stand out much more and appear bigger than the one that is lined with light aqua. But, I think I'll get over it! I really like the colors, and I like it with my blue chair! 

What craft book have you bought and not used yet? Any projects waiting to be made? Let me know! And good luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment