Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Calling Nashville Modern Quilters!

Exciting news from the shop today! I am taking submissions for quilts to hang outside the shop during the First Saturday Art Walk in Wedgewood-Houston (which is just about a mile south of the Convention Center downtown). They will extend down the building and along the sidewalk, and I think it will be a great opportunity to showcase what modern quilting can be, and hopefully expand some people's ideas about the quilt world!

Mass Ave Quilt show in Indianapolis

A few years ago the quilt guild I used to belong to did an outdoor quilt show all along Mass Ave in Indianapolis during their First Friday Art Walk, (read more here) and showcased to the city how cool, special, unique, and unexpected quilts can be. They are not what most people picture when they hear the word "quilt." I love exposing people to this new side of quilting, and showing them something that I think is pretty exciting.

Since my shop is located in the Wedgewood-Houston/ Chestnut-Hill area of Nashville (neighborhoods not everyone is familiar with now, but just you wait!) I have decided to take part in the First Saturday Art Walk that happens once a month in the various galleries and studios near me (the event's Facebook page is here). I love this neighborhood because it has many old warehouses that are now being used as affordable studios for artists, and some have galleries as well. Plus there are workshops, and recording studios, creative offices, sign makers, dance companies, glass blowing, and the list goes on. There is a cool feeling that a lot is being made here, and it's exciting to be part of that.

One of the quilts I may hang for the show

And if you want to be part of it is as well I will be taking quilt submissions through Aug 15th! Just email me a picture of the quilt you are interested in showing (email up to 3 quilts). I am looking for quilts that are smaller than around 72" x 72" otherwise they get a little to heavy to hang easily. They should be in the "modern" vein (whatever that means to you!), and be a quilt you will not mind parting with for a few weeks. I am hoping to get about 20 quilts, but if I get a huge response I will try to expand the show, possibly to the courtyard of my building.

Once I get back to you about your quilt being chosen you have until August 24th to drop your quilt off at the shop, where I will store it carefully with your information until the night of the show. You may ship your quilt here as well, but only if you also provide return shipping costs. Quilts can be picked up in the shop during the month of September.

Mass Ave. Indianapolis Modern Quilt Guild show

During the show your quilt will be hanging along Chestnut St. in front of the building where the store is, and will have a tag with your name and any info about the quilt you'd like to share (when or why it was made, inspiration behind it, your blog address, etc). Quilts may also be put as "For Sale" if you'd like that option as well.

Inside the store I'll have some smaller quilts displayed as well as wine and snacks and I think it's going to be a really great event! I cant wait to hear from you!

Please email thefabricstudionashville@gmail.com with your submissions or questions! 








No comments :

Post a Comment