Friday, May 9, 2014

Pixelated Heart Quilt

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="620"]20140509-121930.jpg Heart Quilt[/caption]

The great thing about patchwork is that it can be turned into so many different things. You can make it random, make stripes, make diagonal lines, and also make shapes, like this heart! I have always loved this quilt, by Blue Elephant Stitches, and always wanted a reason to make one.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="570"]20140509-121936.jpg Neon Dots binding and Dear Stella fabric on the back[/caption]

I'd had a pile of fabric set aside for awhile that was pinks, corals, oranges, that little bit of aqua from one of Jay McCarroll's quilting lines, plus the neutrals and the few little bits of neon and strawberries. I thought about making some type of star quilt but never did. Then one my my best friends had a baby girl and I thought this would be the perfect color palate for her quilt. I used 3 1/2" squares and the quilt finished a little smaller than I normally make my baby quilts, and I also fell in love with it and didnt want to give it away. Is that bad?! I realized it would look perfect in the empty space above some of my shelving in the store. Not to worry, I made Mary another baby quilt (the orange and pink one from this post), and I kept this one for myself.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="586"]20140509-121950.jpg Keeping watch over the store[/caption]

I really love the way it looks hanging up there, so I'm glad I kept it even though it did feel a little bit wrong... I am normally really good about giving quilts away, but there was just something about this one I didnt want to part with :) Plus I'm teaching a patchwork quilt class, so I definitely need an example in the classroom, right?!

2 comments :

  1. It's so lovely, and the back and binding are so perfect. I am so crazy about everything Jolene does, her fabric selection is so nice.

    I made this pattern (in oranges) for a baby boy (though I had to add more background because you're right, it is very small like this!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The back is awesome with the front pattern too, tricksy! It's okay that you kept it, it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete